Chan Quin Er (simplified Chinese: 陈君儿; traditional Chinese: 陳君兒; pinyin: Chén Jūn Er; born 7 March 1987 is a passionate lawyer, professional voice talent, celebrated Master of Ceremonies, motivational speaker and a firm believer in standing up for the underprivileged. She believes in giving back to the community and has always been volunteering to help the destitute and the poor. Her easy-going yet professional style in voiceovers and narration made her the voice behind several commercials. She is the chirpy voice behind “Baskin Robbins 31!”
Early Life and Education
Born and raised in Kuala Lumpur (Old Klang Road), Quin Er is a third-generation Malaysian of Chinese descent. Quin Er is of the Thoy San Cantonese dialect group and her ancestors were from Guanghai, a small town in the Taishan Prefecture in Guangdong, China. She speaks fluent Bahasa Malaysia, English, Mandarin and Cantonese. She has also been a celebrated Master of Ceremonies from a young age and is a practising Buddhist. Quin Er came from humble beginnings and spent most of her early childhood in a wooden house at 4 ½ Mile Old Klang Road.
Quin Er received her primary education in SRJK (C) Yoke Nam. She subsequently started her secondary education in Chong Hwa Independent High School for 3 years and went on to complete the rest of her secondary studies in the famed Catholic High School, Petaling Jaya.
Throughout her early days, Quin Er was an avid debater. Back in 2004, while in Catholic high school, she represented the state of Selangor for the National Mandarin Public Speaking Competition and emerged as the 1st-runner up.
She earned her Law degree from the University of London in 2009, graduating with a LLB Honours before passing her Certificate of Legal Practice in 2012. She was then admitted as an Advocate & Solicitor of the High Court of Malaya in 2013.
Give Back to the Community
Quin Er is an active member of the Malaysian Chinese Association since she was 18 years old. She has been spearheading charitable efforts for underprivileged students under the Sunlight Education Fund, as the Executive Secretary. This fund has been providing aid to schools and over 300 needy students annually within the Seputeh constituency since 2005. She has always been an enthusiastic student in her formative years and encourages students to be proactive by organising activities such as motivational talks and educational visits for them.
During the forming days of her career, Quin Er was actively involved in various societies. Her selflessness was demonstrated when she served the country as a member of the Rejimen Askar Wataniah (Territorial Army Regiment), the military reserve force of the Malaysian Army at TUDM Sungai Besi for 2 ½ years. There, she was a sharp shooter for the 100m range.
Her passion for doing pro bono activities goes back many years, where not only has she been volunteering at the Sunlight Charity Foundation but she has also been providing help to victims of domestic abuse.
- She was also a dragon boater with the KL Barbarians, where her qualities such as passion, perseverance, teamwork and dedication were known to her Dragon Boater teammates.
- She is also the current Secretary of the Catholic High School Alumni Association.
- She also serves as the Legal Advisor for the Chee How temple.
- Quin Er is also a current board member of the Selangor and Kuala Lumpur Kwang Tung Associations.
- She is also the current Director for the World Youth Congress of Jiangmen.
- She is also the current Vice President for the Taishan Overseas Chinese Association
- She is also the former Legal advisor and Director for the Thoy San Association.
- In year 2013, Quin Er was called to the bar and had since served the Attorney General’s Chambers as a Deputy Public Prosecutor and Federal Counsel. She studied law to gain a better understanding of the law in order to help others and earned her Law degree from the University of London in 2009, graduating with a LLB Honours before passing her Certificate of Legal Practice in 2012. She was then admitted as an Advocate & Solicitor of the High Court of Malaya in 2013. She embarked on her pupillage in the chambers of Bodipalar Ponnudurai De Silva, where she received comprehensive guidance and tutelage.